Yes I am going there…it’s actually time to get off the couch and get moving!!! The dreaded topic, EXERCISE! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said, “When I was young I could eat anything and not gain a pound.” Can you relate to that statement? Well, actually its true, when you are younger your metabolism is going pretty strong. However, as a youngster I was more physically active. If I wasn’t playing handball, I was boxing. I walked everywhere, was outside more than in and any chance had to play ball…well there I was. I was burning a lot of calories and ate a truckload of junk. The key here was that I was burning the calories or energy that I consumed.
Calories are the fuel for your body. Your body burns a certain amount of calories naturally (basal metabolic rate). Then anything you do burns calories above and beyond that amount. Of course, if you are taking in more calories a day than what you burn, your body stores them for potential future use. The problem is that they store them as fat cell which really don’t do anything but add weight, add stress to the joints, and take up space within the body that could be better used for other systems, like the cardio-vascular system.
So burning off the calories you take in is important to reduce or maintain weight levels, plus the activities required to burn the calories help build and maintain healthy muscles and other tissues. Plus, the chemicals released through the body during exercise help the body to maintain chemical balances which keep you physically and mentally alert and stable.That is the single most important thing I want you to get from today’s reading.
The Apostle Paul made it very clear that Physical Exercise and Self discipline helps one obtain health both physically and spiritually, which is essential in the Christian walk. He stated this in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”
You don’t need a gym membership, fancy equipment or get workout clothes. You just need to get moving and doing. I know right now the excuses are flying…I don’t have the time, I’m not disciplined, I need someone to workout with me (buddy systems are great for accountability but not always feasible), I’m too tired, I can’t…etc. I know I’ve used all the excuses myself. You have to make the time, if you fall apart physically who is going to take care of you? So here are some tips of finding time you have hidden in everyday activities:
- Watching TV? During each commercial do something, march in place, wall push ups, leg lifts as you sit on the couch, triceps dips, squats, lunges, crunches, etc. For every commercial break do something instead of going to the fridge or cabinet for a snack. During an hour show you will have done approximately 20min. of exercise and never lost a beat with your show.
- Your hour lunch break, eat in 20 minutes and you still have 40 minutes to walk, climb stairs, do walking lunges, wall push ups etc. I have a 40 min. lunch so I break it up 20-20.
- If you have children, freak them out and go play ball with them or teach them the fine art of “Tag”, “Freeze Tag”, Jump rope, Catch, go bicycling, or just chase them you will get joy hearing them laugh and burn calories while you’re doing it.
- Before your feet hit the ground in the morning; roll off the bed lay on the floor and do a set of 10 push ups and 10 crunches. Even if you only start with 5 and 5, you’ve started and can build on that.
- Before you get in bed for some sleep, get on the floor and repeat the prior tip. Trust me if you do this you will feel accomplished.
I urge you to get moving in whatever way you can. Build those muscles you have forgotten about, they are the same muscles you will call upon as you age but they won’t be there because you chose to let them go. My son says it best, “Train insane or remain the same.” Do one thing right, and many other good things will follow. That’s why I believe in simplicity. I’ve found that most diet and workout programs try to do too much at once. My challenge today is take 5 minutes, preferably more out of your day…TODAY and do something for you and your health. Trust me you will not regret it!!!
OH NO!!! STAY TUNED BECAUSE TOMORROW I WILL POST SOME BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES of myself! They say a picture speaks a thousand word, after 8 weeks and these simple modifications you decide if its worth it ! The diet industry is not going to like the fact that I preach health and simplicity. Take this information for what its worth, its free, it’s the diet industry’s worst nightmare and all you have to do is read this week’s blogs and walk them out. Keeping It Simple and Straightforward!
Watch this video and really grasp the impact of never giving up on yourself because when God is for you nothing can stand against you!