Please take a moment to really watch or at the very least listen to this video.
We are missing out on so much in this fast paced, high tech instant information, news, world…more than you realize. Our text starts in Genesis 13:14-18. And the Lord said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, lift up now thine eye and look from the place where thou art, northward and southward, and eastward and westward.
God told Abram, “Look up from where you are.” This video’s message seems rather simple…Look Up. I know it sounds very basic and easy, but sometimes we get our eyes so fixed on where we are, we can’t see where we are going. We are burden with those comments on a post, pic, message, etc. and that can lead to problems that don’t exist or missed opportunities that were just around the bend. People are literally dying(accidents) because they can’t look away from an incoming message. You know sometimes we get so fixated on the problem, we can’t see the answer. God was telling Abram, “I want you to get your eyes off of where you are, and set them on the promise.” The promise of a life of abundance, a life that we may enjoy, walking in the joy of living…this is the promise God has for you, for me…if we can only take a second and look up.
Whatever happened to the intimacy of a phone call or a hand written letter? Would you take a moment and do something the “old fashion” way, send your loved one a card, call a friend and just hear their laughter? Or is it that we have become satisfied with where we are, in this hurry up and sit down life we live. Many times we get our mind so fixated on this virtual life that we don’t remember to look to the promise; food is microwaved or fast, people run from one place to another, and everyone seems to be constantly distracted by text messages, social media, work, family, and taking care of our wants and needs. It is so easy to become desensitized to the world around us. We don’t talk to one another (ttly), hug each other enough(XOXO), run in parks (brb), swing in the playground or simply take a walk holding hands during a sunset. I usually end with a few introspection questions but this week I leave you with a challenge. Challenge yourself and consider ways you can do more good in the world through just taking a “Look Up.”
Challenge: My Simple Happiness Program, I based it on the following verse: Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16
- T – Today, live in the right here, right now. Live in the moment, savor the process. Tomorrow is not here and yesterday is done. Really talk with those around you, put the phone away, turn the television/computer off, be fully present in the now.
- E – Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Take a walk, do some gardening, make an active decision to move.
- M – Manage the negative, see all the good in your life, your blessings and be grateful for them, through prayer, devotionals, worship, etc.
- P – Purpose, live on purpose, be intentional, and stay focused. Everyday try to do one purposeful act whether it’s toward your goal or to brighten another person’s day. Act: call, write, visit…fill in the blank.
- L – Laugh out loud, the University of Oxford, England, found that belly laughs caused the body to release endorphins, which act like opiates by inducing emotional calm and enhancing an overall sense of well-being.
- E – Examine your day before you go to bed. Write down 1-3 things you are grateful for or something that cause you joy during the course of the day.
Incorporate some, if not all into daily habits, your life will be better and that of those around you.
Keeping It Simple and Straightforward