Hap·pi·ness [hap-ee-nis] noun: 1. The quality or state of being happy. 2. Good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy.
Did you know that happiness is less about circumstance and more about your intentional activities and genetic predisposition?
We put off happiness because of circumstance for instance: when I get a promotion I’ll make more money and then I’ll be happy, if I lived in a better place, I would be happy, if and then(you fill in the blank)…circumstances. Ten percent of happiness rides on circumstance. Did you know that? We are always getting some place I can wait for school to end, to start, to graduate, to get married, to get a promotion, to lose weight, to…and the laundry list of waiting to be happy goes on and on and on!!!. Even the most positive changes will eventually be taken for granted as we get use to them, and their long-term impact on our happiness will be minimal. Now don’t get it wrong, its fine to be excited about things to come, things you are hoping for but don’t let the excitement steal from your, right here, right now.
Forty percent of happiness is based on intentional activities! Everyday I intentionally work at doing things throughout the day toward my goal but also looking at the day like an adventure in itself. I look forward to the day I retire and go into my full-time coaching and motivational speaking practice; Strength-n-Dignity… in the mean while, I enjoy meeting new people, smiling at a person and the opportunities to make a difference in someone’s life when they cross my path. I do this every single day and I am very intentional about it.
Proverbs 15:13 Happiness makes a person smile, but sadness can break a person’s spirit
According to this passage, happiness makes me smile and smiling is contagious. So far you’ve learned that 10% of happiness is based on circumstance, 40% is based on intentional activities and the other 50% of happiness is based on your innate predisposition. Each of us is born with a pre-disposition to a certain level of happiness. This may be called the genetic set point, the level or point at which the happy state tends to stabilize, indifferent of what happen to us or we do. This pre-disposition is determined by characteristics inherited from our parents, especially temperamental and affective traits.
So you see happiness does not rely on your circumstances changing but on you changing how you see your circumstance. Be intentional about adding more happiness to your life. You are the captain of that ship! Don’t allow circumstances rob you of the joy you can create intentionally. I would like you to try this happiness boosting program everyday for the next 30 days, accept the challenge and you will be happier even if your circumstances don’t change!
Strength-n-Dignity Happiness Program
I based this happiness program on the following verse: Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16
- T – Today, live in the right here, right now. Live in the moment , savor the process. Tomorrow is not here and yesterday is done.
- E – Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Take a walk, do some gardening, make an active decision to move.
- M – Manage the negative, see all the good in your life, your blessings and be grateful for them, through prayer, devotionals, worship, etc.
- P – Purpose, live on purpose, be intentional, stay focused. Everyday try to do one purposeful act whether it’s toward your goal or to brighten another person’s day.
- L – Laugh out loud, the University of Oxford, England, found that belly laughs caused the body to release endorphins, which act like opiates by inducing emotional calm and enhancing an overall sense of well-being.
- E – Examine your day before you go to bed. Write down 1-3 things you are grateful for or something that cause you joy during the course of the day.
I challenge you to really make an effort to do each one through out the day. This will in turn become a habit and you will be a happier person! Try it, what do you have to lose…a frown perhaps?
Keeping It Straightforward & Simple